The Blue Knights® International Law Enforcement Motorcycle Club, is a non-profit fraternal organization consisting of active and retired law enforcement officers who enjoy riding motorcycles. In the Spring of 1974, several law enforcement officers* from the Bangor, Maine (USA) area met and formed a small, local motorcycle club.
Soon, Blue Knight chapters were being formed in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and beyond. With the addition of Canada, and later Australia, the Blue Knights became an international organization. Our charitable organization has contributed over $18.8 million dollars toward various charities throughout the world since statistics were kept.
Our organization is comprised of active, and retired law enforcement officers and we strive to promote our organization as being a family fraternity. Spouses and children often accompany our members to the various rides and functions. Members can ride a bike of their choosing, and are not mandated to riding an American made motorcycle (ie. Harley Davidson).
We do not have a probationary period for members, or prospects, and women are equal in our organization not only as members, but in leadership positions locally and internationally within the Blue Knights.
* Our Founding Fathers are: Joel Rudom, Bill Robinson, Doug Miner, Ed Gallant, Mike Hall, Chuck Gesner, Wayne Labree, Chuck Shuman.
It is difficult stating what makes the Blue Knights® so special. Perhaps the following will help explain the kinds of feelings that flow when a bunch of motorcycle-riding police officers get together.
- Enjoying the company of different people who share not only the common bond of a career in law enforcement, but also a love of motorcycles.
- Being able to visit your friends in any of our member countries and be treated like family.
- Receiving get-well cards from people you've never met. (There are no strangers in the Blue Knights, only friends you haven't met.)
- Riding with the Ladies of the Knights and Little Knights who give that added family touch.
- Going to handicapped children's camps, giving the kids rides and seeing the smiles on their faces.
- Various fund-raising activities for those less fortunate.
Being a Blue Knight is all this and much, much more.
Many Blue Knights work long and hard to raise money for various charities. Especially near to our hearts is helping children. The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Make-a-Wish Foundation, Toys for Tots, D.A.R.E., and Concerns of Police Survivors (C.O.P.S.) are some examples of our favorites.
We're the good guys!
The Blue Knights is a family fraternity. Spouses and children often accompany our members to the various rides and functions. When travelling, local members can provide assistance, directions and sometimes a place to stay. We are truly a family.
Among the Blue Knight members,
"There are no strangers, only friends you haven't met."